Dr. Janice Hansen
- anxiety | fears | phobias
- work stress | burnout
- adjustment to life changes
- self esteem and identity issues
- stress management
- conflicts with others
- health | migraine | chronic illness or disability
- coping with dysfunctional family patterns ... and others.
I received my Honours B.A. in psychology at the University of Calgary in 1989, then went on to do my Ph.D. at the University of Waterloo, where I did my dissertation research on the puzzling question of how difficult it is to change our behaviour -- in this case, health behaviour -- even when we really want to. Although I currently do psychotherapy full time, I have enjoyed being involved in health behaviour research at various settings, including the Children's Hospital of Alberta, the Ottawa Heart Institute and the Department of Epidemiology at the University of Ottawa.
Clinically, I have had past experience in both hospital and private practice settings, working in such interesting areas as:
- inpatient and outpatient Chronic Pain programs
- psychiatric rehab day hospital
- mood disorders assessment and therapy
- group therapy with individuals with chronic illness / disability
- early intervention with at-risk youth in the public school system